What is Acne?
Acne is a common skin condition that causes oily skin and spots. It can make skin painful to touch. Acne commonly affects the face, back and chest. Luckily, there are Acne Treatments available to help improve flare ups.
Causes of acne
Acne is often caused by hormones. It can occur at puberty due to the changes in hormone levels. For this reason, woman can sometimes have Acne Flair ups during pregnancy or during the menstrual cycle. Acne is also known to run in families.
Types of Acne Spots
There are six types of Acne Spots that individuals affected by this condition can develop. Not every individual with Acne will get all these spot types.
- Blackheads – small black or yellow bumps. They are black due to the inner lining of hair follicles.
- Whiteheads – like blackheads but often firmer and have liquid contained within that does not empty.
- Papules – small red blemishes that can feel sore to the touch.
- Pustules – these are generally red with a white middle, caused by the build-up of pus.
- Nodules – large hard bumps that build up below the skins surface. These are often painful.
- Cysts – these are large pus-filled bumps that are similar in appearance to boils. They carry the greatest risk of scarring.
Top tips for preventing Acne
- Do not over-wash your skin.
- Do not use extremes of temperature when washing the affected area.
- Do not ‘pop’ spots, this can make them worse and lead to scarring.
- Use noncomedogenic make-up products where possible. These are less likely to block the pores.
- Ensure you have a good skin routine, removing make-up and cleansing and toning before sleep.
- Shower when you finish exercising to stop sweat blocking pores.
Aesthetics Life recommends seeing a doctor or pharmacist first to see if a prescription or over the counter medicine can aid to clear the skin and treat Acne Flare Ups.
We have specialist skin care products available to purchase from our clinics, that have proved highly effective to improve Acne Spots. Please ask in the clinic for details.