A great article written by Smita our hygienist at aesthetics.
Many people have crowded or crooked teeth will have Invisalign treatment, to improve their smile and confidence. Invisalign a way of straightening or moving teeth, to improve the appearance of the teeth and how they work, using tough, clear plastic aligners that are removable and almost invisible.
Preventive dentistry is the modern way of reducing the amount of dental treatment necessary to maintain a healthy disease free mouth. The two major causes of tooth loss are decay and gum disease. The better we prevent or deal with these two diseases, the more chance people have of keeping NEW STRAIGHT TEETH for life!
We know that Periodontal Disease (gum disease) is a chronic bacterial infection that can affect the gums and bone supporting our teeth. This disease can affect one tooth or many teeth, and if bone loss occurs it can cause straight teeth to become mobile, tilt or drift out of position again and even cause tooth loss, thus can slowly reverse the fantastic results achieved by your Invisalign treatment!
The lifetime success and longevity of your Invisalign treatment will heavily depend on a partnership between you, your Dentist, and your Dental Hygienist.
The skills and advice given by the Dentist and Dental Hygienist are paramount and essential along with the commitment and compliance of the patient to keep their mouth disease free, as the patients are in control of their mouth between visits to the dental practice.
As your personal guide to dental disease prevention, your Dental Hygienist is the preventative expert whose primary role is to “help patients save their teeth so the dentist can restore and straighten them so patients can smile and eat with them.”
- Initially your dentist will assess your teeth and gums, and discuss with you any treatment that you need and then refer you to the hygienist for more specialist care.
- A course of treatment may be recommended to get your mouth into good condition, and a maintenance plan will be worked out to enable you to sustain long term dental health.
- The hygienist will thoroughly ‘scale and remove all bacterial deposits of plaque and calculus from surfaces of your teeth, which are often in areas that patients cannot clean themselves.
- The hygienist can advise and show you the best oral hygiene tools, products and techniques to help you’re mouth plaque free in between visits to the dental practice.
- The hygienist can give you dietary advice to minimize the risk of tooth decay.
- The hygienist can inform and advice you how smoking, alcohol, certain health problems & medication can affect your teeth and gums.
- Your dentist will also make sure that all your fillings and other teeth are in good condition and do not present with any rough edges that can become plaque traps as plaque retention factors on your teeth can make those areas more difficult to clean and more prone to gum infection and disease.
aesthetics Invisalign Treatment can give you eternal results providing you follow the correct advice and maintenance pre, post and during your treatment…..so let aesthetics help you make the most of your investment and new smile last for ever. Visit https://www.aesthetics-dentistry.com or telephone us on 01707 261367.